Surgery

After I welded the first wheel bracket onto the one of the legs, I realized I had totally messed it up. I used one of my new Harbor Freight pipe clamps to hold it in place and somehow I missed the fact that it wasn’t remotely square.

20130823-212026.jpg

Fail.

After some deliberation as to how big a deal this was (it would be attached to a wheel, after all), I decided it’d be better just to cut it off and try again. Problem was that I couldn’t get a grinding wheel into the welded joint due to the vertical walls of the U channel. I thought about using a cutting wheel on the walls to give access to the joint, but in the end I decided it’d be easier to use the chop saw on the leg and start over.

20130823-212109.jpg

The amputation. Used the blue legged table to hold the frame up and let the saw cut through the square tubing at an angle.

20130823-212142.jpg

Someone should play “Taps.”

Made another wheel mounting bracket.

20130823-212204.jpg

Cutting some more U channel to make another wheel bracket. Cut the walls….

20130823-212218.jpg

…Then the back.

20130823-212307.jpg

Using one of the wheels to line up holes for the bolts.

20130823-212414.jpg

The wire cup brush does a nice job cleaning up the bracket.

Once I had cut, drilled, and cleaned up the bracket, I grabbed a piece of scrap tubing and ground angles in it and the leg. I used some heavy bar magnets to line the two pieces up and then tacked it together.

20130823-212508.jpg

Used some heavy bar magnets to line up the prosthesis.

20130823-212532.jpg

Tacking up the leg extension.

20130823-212603.jpg

Welding the leg extension.

On the last bead of the weld, I decided it’d be a good chance to practice some vertical welding. This did not go well. I’m not sure how I managed it but I blew a big hole in one edge and the wire just started feeding into the hole. It was pretty ugly. Should have gotten a pic but I was too focused fixing it.  I did some grinding, laid the piece flat and put down a big fat bead to fill in the hole. I’m going to have to grab some scraps and practice welding in the vertical and overhead positions before I weld the frame together. Good news is the leg seems to have ended up pretty much straight.

20130823-212625.jpg

Another ugly attempt at out of position welding.

20130823-212710.jpg

Cutting the leg back down to size.

Once I cut the leg back to size and welded the new bracket on, I was finally able to test fit the four sides and start to get a sense of the scale of the monster I’m creating. Can’t wait to clamp it together and start tacking it up!

20130823-212750.jpg

Finally able to test fit the four sides of the base.

 

Leave a Reply